In Philippians 3 & 4, Paul gives us a list of positive ways to live, keeping our focus in the right place. The resulting promises from God are exactly what we need!
I don’t know about you, but I’m all in.
Here we go:
- Stand firm by eagerly awaiting Jesus, trusting he will bring all things under his control and transform us by his power. (Eph.3:20-21)
- Agree with each other in the Lord (4:2)
- Rejoice in the Lord all the time (4:4)
- Be gentle when we deal with people in a way that they notice (4:5)
- Don’t worry, but pray and thank God for who he is and what he is doing even when we can’t see it yet (4:6)
- Don’t focus on our problems or the bad things happening, but focus on whatever is “noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy” (4:8)
- Be content no matter what is happening because God is in control and will give us strength to live in it – he will also bring good from it (4:11-13)
When we focus this way, God promises he will guard our hearts and minds with his peace. (4:7)
I need peace, don’t you?
He will also meet us in our trouble and give us everything we need because Jesus is glorious and able to do so. (4:19)
So every time a thought comes to us, we can line it up with this, trusting God to be there for us.
And when we forget or fail?
No worries. God’s still got us covered. We can simply be honest with him and ask him for renewed grace and strength.
I’m so glad we have a God like that! Aren’t you?