What if you’re influenced daily by the internal voices you hear?
We’ve all seen cartoons depicting a character torn between the voice of an angel on one shoulder and a pitchfork devil on the other telling him the right or wrong way to handle something. While the visual may be a comical representation of good and evil, the reality is we have a God who loves us and an enemy who hates us.
“Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” I Peter 5:8
Each of them is communicating with us each day. So which one are we listening to?
- God says: You’re my child. I created you. I love you. I died for you.
- Satan says: No one wants you. No one loves you. You may as well die.
Think about it…
- God says: You were wonderfully created, and I will continue to do a good work in you.
- Satan says: You are worthless and hopeless. Nothing good will come from you.
Who is for us and who is against us?
- God says: You sinned. Let me help you.
- Satan says: You’re a failure. You’re not able to be helped.
One offers life, the other death.
- God says: I delight in you.
- Satan says: You’re a disappointment.
One welcomes us, the other cuts us off.
- God says: Nothing can separate you from my love.
- Satan says: You’re so bad, you’ve done something so terrible, no one could love you. You’re a loser and an idiot.
One offers freedom, the other slavery.
- God says: I came through Jesus to save you and to free you from bondage. I am the way.
- Satan says: You’ll always be trapped. There is no way out.
One relates to our suffering, the other causes it.
- God says: I care about your pain. I suffered mocking, insults and torture. I understand. Let me comfort you and heal your wounds.
- Satan says: God doesn’t care about you or he wouldn’t allow pain.
One brings good out of trials, the other makes us a victim.
- God says: In the world you’ll have trials. I will use them to strengthen and grow you because I love you.
- Satan says: Everything bad or hard that happens is because God doesn’t love you.
One offers forgiveness, the other seeks revenge.
- God says: I forgive you freely. Forgive others in the same way. Put them in my hands, and you will be free.
- Satan says: If you forgive, you’re letting someone off the hook. Hold a grudge, seek vindication and revenge so you can feel better about what was done to you.
One offers a way to live well, the other offers counterfeit living.
- God says: I give you guidelines for life so you will prosper. If you trust and follow me, I’ll make your path clear and straight.
- Satan says: God is a dictator who wants to control you. He wants to ruin your freedom and fun. Your intellect, ideas and plans are better.
One gives, the other takes.
- God says: I gave my life freely so you can have abundant life. If you are generous like I am, I will give you more.
- Satan says: God is trying to take your time, your money, your freedom, your life. If you give, you will lose.
One does for us, the other says we can’t ever do enough.
- God says: I loved you first, even when you were doing wrong. Love me and others and you’ll want to do what’s right.
- Satan says: If you do enough right, maybe God will love you. Oh, by the way, you’ll never be good enough.
Who are you listening to today?
(Gen. 1, Deut.29:9, Phil. 1:6, Psalm 139, 1 John 1:9, 1 John 4:7-8, Zep, 3:17, Psalm 23, John 3:16, John 10:10, Rom. 8:28, Jer. 29:11, Psalm 119:8-9, Rom. 8:38-39, Isaiah 41, Matt. 18:21-35, Isaiah 42:1, 7 & 16, Luke 12:6-7, Rom. 5, Rom. 8:1, 1 Thes. 5:9 to name a few…)