The World’s Best Father
Today, on Father’s Day here in the USA, we honor our fathers.
Depending on what our experience has been we may be grateful for the way our fathers raised us, we may be grieving the loss of them, or we might not even know them. It’s likely that we have some difficult memories and some good ones. Or maybe none at all. Some have experienced great joy in their relationship with their father, but others have lived through horrendous abuse.
One thing is agreed on by experts, and that is that the experience we have with our earthly father influences the way we see our heavenly father.
Consider for a moment how you view or have viewed God.
Do you think of him as distant? Anger or harsh? Is he a punishing God? Or perhaps he’s non-existent.
But today, let’s look at what is true about God, our Everlasting Father. The Bible shows us all the characteristics of the what a good father looks like:
- He created us to be like him. We are wonderfully made. (Gen. 1:27; Deut. 32:6; Psalm 139:14)
- He longs to be with us. (Gen. 3:9; John 17:20-23)
- He is slow to anger. (Exodus 34:6; Psalm 103:8)
- He is compassionate, gracious, merciful, and full of love. (Ex. 34:6; Deut. 4:31; I John 4)
- He is faithful and forgiving. (Ex. 34:7; Col. 3:13))
- He is available to us. (Deut.4:29; Psalm 5:7; Heb. 4:16)
- He will not abandon us. (Deut. 4:31; Nehemiah 9:19)
- He will contend with our enemies, fight for us, and vindicate us. (I Sam. 25:39; I Chron. 14:11; Psalm 140:12)
- He blesses us. (Job 41:12; Deut. 7:13)
- He keeps us safe. (Psalm 4:8; Psalm 23:4
- He gives us good gifts. (Psalm 34:10; Psalm 103:5; Matt. 6:25-34; James 1:17)
- He corrects us with loving discipline. (Prov. 3:12; Heb. 12:5-11)
- He gives us an inheritance. (Rom. 8:15-16; I Peter 1:4)
- He delights in us. (Zep. 3:17)
Shall we go on?
This is only a small sample of the truth of who God is as our Father. When we see or experience tragedy, it’s easy to blame God – especially if we don’t really know his true character.
But he loves us and is a good, good father. Our Abba Father.
The world’s best Father.