Do You Need REST?
During these last six months of illness, I’ve found the need to rest is much greater. Partially because I don’t sleep well at night, but also due to the fact that my body isn’t well. Fatigue is ongoing.
But recently, I’ve heard God speaking the word REST to me at every turn. In his word, in his whispers to me, and in songs, he keeps impressing this idea of rest on me. I finally realized that it had much more to do with my spirit than my physical body.
There are so many places in the Bible that indicate rest.
- The Lord leads us beside still waters and makes us lie down in green pastures. (Psalm 23)
- In Genesis, God rested from creating the world. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t tired, but spoke from a place of completion.
- The Bible refers to God’s people entering his rest. (Exodus and Hebrews)
- David, the Psalmist, talks about sleeping in peace. (Psalm 4:8)
- Jesus tells anyone who is weary and burdened to come to him and swap places. (Matthew 30)
Resting is actually about:
- being in God’s presence
- letting him hold us and everything in our lives
- waiting on him
- trusting that he’s “got this”
- not stressing about the outcome of situations
- believing that the God of the universe is holding onto me in love and he will not let go of me
It’s about being able to be still because we know that HE is God. (Psalm 46:10)
No matter what things look like. Despite the possible “what if’s.” In spite of the illness, or bank account, or silence from a loved one.
As I pondered this, I believe God gave me this acronym to encompass what he was trying to get me to embrace.
R – Refreshed. When I rest in Him, I will feel refreshed rather than weary.
E – Established. He is the one who establishes me and everything in my life.
S – Stay. If I want to find rest, I need to stay in his presence.
T – Trust. It all comes down to trusting him. When I know how much he loves me, I can trust that he has my back.
So if you find you are in need of REST, remember that while a nap might help our physical body, true rest comes from a spirit trusting in and leaning on God.